Tuesday 9 July 2013

Fable Font Creation


I have recently undertaken a personal task to design a decorative font, for my own amusement. It came about when I was tasked with the production of a logo for a perfume. It was one of my two strongest ideas, but obviously one got chosen over this one. Fable always stuck out in my mind though, there was a childlike innocence about it which I liked a lot, hence me carrying out the initial idea and extending it into a full font.

The term fable is defined as a short story, typically with animals, inanimate objects, plants or forces of nature conveying a moral. A fable is one of the most enduring forms of folk literature; they can be found almost everywhere. They are most often stories passed down from parent to child throughout generations, one that I can vividly remember being told by my grandmother is that of ‘The Tortoise and The Hare’ a story that I’m sure most are familiar with.

The inspiration behind the font is the popularized cartoon depiction of a beehive, derived from Skeps which originated two thousand years ago. These structures are made of straw and meant to protect the honeycomb which the bees produce inside the Skep.

The font can be used to write titles for a series of kids books and products which would be extensions of these books. I will post the rest of the font when I am done with it, but for now below are pictures of the inspiration and what is to come.

a Skep.

 Cartoon beehive.
Font outline.Fable Font.

No comments:

Post a Comment